In today’s episode, host Allison Schaaf shares her favorite easy, healthy travel food ideas, perfect for road trips or any travel. These ideas work best if you’re staying somewhere with at least some kitchen facilities.
Easy & Healthy Travel Food Ideas:
Walmart grocery stores are great for road trips. They’re easy to find, even in rural areas and provide a great way to get healthy snacks or meals instead of fast food. Things I like to purchase at Walmart (or any grocery store) on a road trip:
- Bag of organic blue corn chips
- Baby carrots or pre chopped veggies like broccoli and cauliflower.
- Pre-made guac (Read ingredients but a lot of them have decent ingredients!)
- Tuna Pouches – I like to mix these with guac and dip chips in. Or you can get deli meat, put guac in it like a wrap and eat it that way!
- Beetnik Meatballs – Based in Austin, this is a company I worked with years ago as a dietitian in creating some of their dishes. I found them at a grocery store in Kansas. They’re gluten free with a minimal, clean ingredients list. I combined meatballs, baked sweet potatoes and baby spinach. If you don’t have the meatballs, a pre-cooked sausage is another good choice. Green beans are another good choice that requires no chopping. Cauliflower rice is easy as well.
Easy Travel Breakfast Options:
- Soaked oats: soak oats in water overnight – no cooking required!
- Muesli: You can buy muesli with dried fruit and nuts mixed in so you don’t have to procure toppings.
- Plain Greek yogurt with berries and nuts.
- Spinach, sweet potatoes and eggs
Resources mentioned in this podcast:
Get your free trial here for two weeks of free meal plans!