My dairy free whipped cream & berry parfait makes the perfect summer treat or 4th of July dessert!
Both classic and nuanced, this dairy free whipped cream & berry parfait just may be my new favorite dessert. It's cool and light, perfect for those summer nights when you want something a little special, but don't want to feel weighed down.
With the layers of berries, it also makes a beautiful 4th of July dessert. You can totally make this any time of year though and use whatever fruit you prefer – make sure to check out my parfait-remix ideas below the recipe for other fun add-in inspiration!
Dairy Free Whipped Cream & Berry Parfait
- 2 (15 oz) cans full fat coconut milk*
- 1 (6 oz) dark chocolate bar* (dairy free if needed)
- 1 pint strawberries
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract*
- 1 pint blueberries
- Place 2 cans of coconut milk in refrigerator overnight.
- Roughly chop 1 dark chocolate bar.
- Cut & discard green tops off 1 pint of strawberries. Roughly chop strawberries.
- Scoop out hard cream from coconut milk and discard any liquid. Add to mixing bowl with 2 Tbsp maple syrup and 1 tsp vanilla.
- Use a hand mixer or stand mixer and mix on high until it reaches whipped cream consistency.
- In 4 medium glasses add 1 layer of strawberries and blueberries.
- Top w/ whipped cream.
- Repeat layers & top w/ chunks of chocolate.
What are the nutritional highlights of this coconut milk dessert?
Yes, it's dessert, but that doesn't mean you can't sneak in some good stuff! Here are some nutritional highlights from this festive dessert:
- Coconut: Coconuts provide copper, iron and selenium. They're also very high in manganese, which is beneficial for metabolism and bone health.
- Strawberries: A good source of Vitamin C, manganese and antioxidants, strawberries may help prevent heart disease, aid in blood sugar regulation and reduce inflammation.
- Blueberries: Arguably one of the healthiest foods in the world, blueberries are packed with fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, manganese and antioxidants. Pro tip – wild blueberries are even higher in some antioxidants, look for them in the frozen section!
- Dark Chocolate: Full of antioxidants, dark chocolate is good for your heart and may even help lower blood pressure.
Where can I find dairy-free chocolate?
What else can I do with this dairy free whipped cream?
Oh so many things! Top a cobbler, some brownies, or put a dollop in your morning coffee.
If you want to stick with a parfait, there are so many different add-in combos – get creative! You could even set up a parfait bar and let everyone make their own with a variety of toppings. Build your own is always a hit with the kids!
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Cherries and walnuts
- Swirl is some almond butter and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips
- Diced pineapple and unsweetened coconut
- Mango and slivered almonds
- Pomegranate arils and mini chocolate chips
- Swirl in some pumpkin and sprinkle with chopped pecans to keep this going in the fall!
- For a super decadent dessert, perhaps for a summer birthday, create layers of roughly chopped Paleo brownies, raspberry sauce and coconut whipped cream – sprinkles optional!
Do you have any tips for making great dairy free whipped cream?
Why yes, indeed we do.
My love of dairy free whipped cream is strong. I have an entire post and video devoted to helping you achieve the lightest, smoothest coconut milk whipped cream. Here are a few of the highlights, but make sure to check those out for the best tips! Dairy free whipped cream is totally delicious but it can be a bit finicky so learn from my mistakes!
1. Choose the right brand – You'd be surprised by how much various brands differ. I recommend Thai Kitchen as my top pick.
2. Keep it cold: Put your mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for a bit before mixing to keep everything ice cold.
3. Try an iSi whipped cream dispenser: I go into full detail on how to use this in my video – totally worth it if you love coconut whipped cream as much as I do!
What are some other 4th of July desserts?
Looking for more ideas for festive 4th of July desserts? We've got you covered!
Pomegranate Chocolate Bark: Add some dried blueberries to make it red, white and blue!
Watermelon “Mojito” Popsicles: These are so refreshing, perfect for a summer day.
Coconut Milk Ice Cream: This non-dairy frozen treat is delicious as-is but feel free to pile on the patriotic toppings! Slivered almonds, raspberries and blueberries would be festive and delicious.