This green chili beef burrito recipe is made in the slow cooker and requires very little prep. With tons of flavor and a little bit of spice, it's definitely a crowd pleaser!
As the meal planning enthusiast that I am, I love hearing about other people's meal planning process. How people choose what to cook, how they divide tasks and work around busy schedules, these are things that get me excited!
In our house, we sit down every Sunday and look at the calendar for the week ahead. My husband and I are both entrepreneurs so our schedules can be a bit unpredictable. Among other things, we take note of any days that will be particularly busy and, on those days, I plan a meal like these green chili beef burritos! (I talk more about our scheduling process in this video!)
This recipe requires very little chopping, only 1 onion plus a few optional toppings. Yet it's totally satisfying and the perfect thing to come home to after a busy day.
In addition to being gluten free, the beef itself is totally Paleo. Just serve in lettuce wraps instead of tortillas. If you're gluten free, make sure to get gluten free tortillas.
Green Chili Beef Burritos w/ Guacamole
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 # chuck roast
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz can diced green chiles*
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes w/ green chiles*
- 1 bunch cilantro (separated)
- 2 limes (separated)
- 1 large tomato
- 8 organic corn tortillas*
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
For the Guacamole:
- Mash 2 avocados.
- Mix with juice of 1/2 lime, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro and S&P to taste.
For the Green Chili Beef Burritos
- Finely chop 1 onion.
- In a small bowl mix together 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin and 1⁄2 tsp black pepper and rub all over 2# chuck roast.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large sauté pan over med-high heat. Sear seasoned chuck roast on all sides (~2mins per side).
- To slow cooker add the following: browned beef, 1 diced onion, 4 oz can diced green chiles, 10 oz can diced tomatoes w/ chiles.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Chop 1 bunch of cilantro & 1 large tomato. Quarter 2 limes.
- Shred beef.
- Warm 8 corn tortillas on griddle or warm pan.
- Serve shredded beef in corn tortilla topped with guacamole, fresh cilantro and chopped tomato. Squeeze fresh lime juice on top. Roll into a burrito or eat like a taco.
What is the nutrition like for these green chili beef burritos?
All of our recipes are designed with nutrition in mind. Here are some of the nutritional benefits of these green chili beef burritos:
- Beef: All beef is packed with protein, but the beef you choose matters in terms of its nutritional content. Did you know that grass fed beef has up to 5 times as much omega 3 fatty acids? It also has more Vitamin A and Vitamin E than grain-fed beef. I personally love Butcher Box as a source of quality grass fed beef.
- Onion: We don't think a lot about the nutrition of onions, but they're actually full of antioxidants. Using onions is an easy and budget friendly way to give your family an antioxidant boost!
- Tomatoes: Packed with antioxidants, tomatoes may help reduce the risk of several kinds of cancer. Furthermore, they contain Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and potassium, many of which most people don't get enough of.
- Green Chilis: Chili peppers are very high in Vitamin C and are also a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, potassium and copper. Of course since you won't generally consume large quantities of chili peppers, their contribution to your overall nutrition is limited.
- Cilantro: Did you know cilantro is used medicinally to treat several conditions? Cilantro comes from the coriander plant which can help lower blood sugar, fight inflammation, and reduce blood pressure. It also potentially improves memory and eases anxiety!
- Avocado: Loaded with nutrients like potassium, folate, and healthy fats, avocados are good for your heart, your eye health, and even your mood. Moreover, they also benefit your brain, bone density, and blood sugar levels.
Can I meal prep this beef burrito recipe?
I'm so glad you asked 🙂
Yes! This green chili beef is meant for meal prep.
Wash and chop your onions and tomatoes and cilantro ahead of time. For efficient meal prep, make sure you know the best way to chop each fruit and veggie. Specifically, since onions are such a common ingredient and often need to be diced pretty small, I made a video on the best way to chop an onion here! Using this method is a huge time saver.
Measure and mix your spices. You can rub the spices on the chuck roast ahead of time too if you wish, or save this step for dish day.
On the day you plan to cook the beef, all you'll need to do is brown it and add to the slow cooker in the morning and make the guacamole in the evening (this takes less than 5 minutes).
Is the slow cooker beef Keto-friendly?
Yes! While you'll obviously want to omit the tortillas, the green chili beef can certainly be enjoyed on a Keto diet. If you serve on lettuce wraps, one serving, including guacamole, has about 5.4 grams net carbs.
Is this recipe kid-friendly?
Every kid is different and sometimes their tastes seem to change daily, but this is certainly a kid-friendly recipe the whole family can enjoy. If your child is super sensitive to spice, feel free to leave out the green chilis.
Also try serving this buffet style, perhaps with some kid-friendly toppings like shredded cheese if you like. Encouraging your child to build their own burrito gives them a sense of control and makes it more likely they'll try something new!
What is your favorite healthy taco / burrito filling? Share your ideas and pictures on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram as @prepdish in all 3 places, or leave a comment below.