Talk about a dessert hack! Poached Pears are my idea of the perfect entertaining dessert. So super simple, yet quite possibly one of the most elegant desserts!
Okay – I know I am getting eye rolls…she said “super simple?!” Poached Pears sound intimidating to make, but I promise they are going to become your go-to dessert recipe from this point forward. A few simple ingredients, a saucepan with lid, and 15 mins. Viola, dessert is served.
Poached Pears hold up nicely in the fridge too, so perfect for prepping ahead of time. They are tasty served either straight from the fridge, at room temp, or warmed. Feeling extra special? Serve with a dollop of homemade coconut milk ice cream.
Two quick tips:1.) These are kid-friendly using apple cider (or juice) as the poaching liquid. Poached Pears are also delicious when you use red wine instead.2.) Don't have pumpkin pie spice on hand, try subbing cinnamon or a split vanilla bean.
- 4 bosc pears
- 1 lemon
- 3 c organic apple cider* (OR sub organic apple juice)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Peel 4 pears. Set aside.
- Peel 1 lemon, cutting peel into long strips.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine 3c apple cider + 1c water + lemon peel strips + 1tsp pumpkin pie spice.
- Add peeled pears (easiest to cook 2 at a time).
- Cover and cook for ~15 minutes, turning occasionally so that pears cook evenly.
- Pears are done when they can be easily punctured with a fork.
- Can be served warm or cold.