Whether you're looking for a Whole30 lunch option, paleo wrap, keto wrap, or just a delicious healthy lunch recipe, these chicken salad lettuce wraps fit the bill!
This page contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support of Prep Dish!
One of my favorite things we do here at Prep Dish is the 21 day challenge. We hold the challenge a couple of times a year and it's a time for people to really reset and get into a meal prep habit. Seriously, once you have the habit in place, things get SO much easier!
Chicken salad lettuce wraps are a popular recipe from the challenge we held last February. They're fresh and super satisfying with plenty of protein and healthy fats. They also have a bit of bacon in there, just enough to give them that unbeatable flavor and crunch factor that sets these apart from just another healthy lunch.
The recipe is also super versatile so feel free to throw in any other veggies you have on hand. If you have kids, try serving this buffet style and let them fill their own wraps. One good way to do this is to make a simple rule like at least one protein and one veggie goes in everybody's wrap. That gives them plenty of choice while still ensuring they have a healthy lunch.
I hope you love this one as much as I do!
Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 Red onion
- 1 Head of romaine lettuce
- 2 Pieces of bacon
- 1 # Boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup Avocado mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- S&P to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a sheet pan w/ parchment paper. Place 1# chicken breasts on pan and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp garlic powder and S&P to taste. Bake for ~25-30 min or until cooked to 165 F. Cool & set aside.
- Place 2 slices of bacon on parchment paper-lined sheet pan & bake for ~20 minutes or until crispy. Cool and crumble.
- Finely chop 1/2 red onion.
- Shred baked chicken with a fork. Add 1/2 chopped red onions, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, crumbled bacon and S&P to taste.
- Wash and separate leaves from 1 head romaine lettuce.
- Slice avocado.
- Top each piece of romaine lettuce with ~1/4 cup chicken salad and about 1/6 avocado slices.
- Roll up and enjoy! This makes about 6 wraps, or 3 servings.
What is the nutrition like for these chicken salad lettuce wraps?
Thinking about the health benefits of the ingredients you're using can be super motivating when it comes to choosing healthy meals. Keep these impressive nutritional benefits in mind when you're enjoying these wraps!
- Chicken: In addition to being packed with protein, chicken is a good source of iron, zinc, selenium and B vitamins.
- Avocado: Loaded with nutrients like potassium, folate and healthy fats, avocados are good for your heart, your eye health and even your mood. Moreover, they also benefit your brain, bone density and blood sugar levels.
- Red Onion: Onions in general are super healthy as they're full of antioxidants, B Vitamins and potassium. Red onions in particular contain anthocyanins, a type of flavonoid believed to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Romaine Lettuce: Due to its Vitamin C, Vitamin K, folate, calcium and potassium, romaine lettuce makes a super healthy wrap for your chicken salad.
How can I meal prep these wraps?
These healthy chicken wraps are designed for meal prep and make the perfect prep-ahead lunch!
The chicken salad keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days so you can complete steps 1-5 ahead of time. You can also wash and separate your romaine lettuce in advance, just store the leaves between damp paper towels to keep them fresh.
Slicing your avocado right before you eat it will be best but if you need to store half of the avocado for lunch a different day, just brush it with a bit of lemon juice to prevent browning.
Tell me more about the Prep Dish challenges
All of our recipes at Prep Dish are designed with nutrition in mind but our 21 Day Challenge recipes go above and beyond. They're all Paleo, Gluten Free and free of any added sugar. They are mostly Whole30 compliant, with substitutions provided for any recipes that aren't.
Another difference between the challenge and our normal meal plans is the number of recipes provided.
While our regular Gluten Free & Paleo meal plans include 4 dinners, 1 breakfast, 1 snack and 1 dessert, our weekly challenge menus include breakfasts, lunches and snacks for all 7 days (and no desserts).
I love a good reset but my favorite part of the challenge by far is the community in our 21 Day Challenge Facebook group. It's really impactful to see how everyone supports each other and provides encouragement!
Is this a good Whole30 lunch option?
Yes! These chicken salad lettuce wraps are a great Whole30 lunch option. Just make sure to use Whole30 approved bacon (sugar & additive free) like the one from US Wellness Meats. Also, make sure to use avocado mayo!
If you're looking for more Whole30 compliant recipes, we offer a full 5 week Whole30 / reset meal plan here!
Want to find more delicious dairy free recipes like this one? Make sure to watch my 10 Dairy Free Alternatives video on YouTube!
What are some other healthy lunch recipes?
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support of Prep Dish.