I recently visited Barcelona to help a good friend celebrate her 40th birthday. I was so excited to be able to fit in a hands-on cooking class! On the menu were classic Spanish dishes like Paella + Spanish Tortilla, and my personal favorite, Romesco Sauce.
The chef served the sauce paired with cooked veggies. In Spain, it’s common to add bread to the sauce as a thickener. Luckily my instructor knew about my gluten intolerance so he modified the recipe by simply omitting the bread. When I got home, I quickly hit the kitchen and experimented with the recipe to make adjustments for ingredients we can get here in the States.
For example, I use red bell peppers since the variety of peppers typically used in Spain are not available in Texas ;). I also simplified the cooking methods and times. When testing my own version of the recipe, I paired this sauce with everything: on top of salmon, as a condiment to beef, stirred into spaghetti squash and topped with shrimp, mixed into mashed acorn squash. I even use it as a dip to snack on with homemade plantain chips. I just can't get enough! I hope you enjoy the result.
Gluten Free Romesco Sauce
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- Cut 1 red bell pepper into 4 pieces (remove/ discard stem & seeds).
- Peel 1 clove garlic.
- Place: 4 whole Roma tomatoes + red bell pepper pieces + peeled garlic on a 9×13 baking pan.
- Drizzle with 1T olive oil.
- Place ¼c almonds & ¼ c hazelnuts in a single layer on a sheet pan & roast for 8-10 minutes, cool slightly.
- Place the following in a blender: 1/4 cup olive oil, roasted tomatoes (option to peel), garlic, bell pepper, toasted almonds and hazelnuts (option to remove peel), 1 tsp red wine vinegar (or sub apple cider vinegar), 1 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp salt.
- Blend until just smooth or desired consistency. Season to taste with additional salt or a splash of vinegar.