Want to know how to make homemade vanilla extract? It's quite simple and makes a beautiful homemade holiday gift!
I love doing homemade gifts at Christmas, in the past, I've done homemade all-purpose cleaner & trail mixes. Last year was perhaps my favorite yet… homemade vanilla! The ingredients are simple: fresh vanilla beans + vodka. And cute bottles + labels for packaging and you're all set. I made extras as they work great for hostess gifts, too.
1. Slice vanilla beans open the long way.
2. Place sliced vanilla beans in bottles.
3. Fill bottles with neutral vodka.
Some vodkas may contain gluten, so be sure to check! My favorite is Austin-based Tito's Handmade Vodka, which is corn-based. Potato-based vodkas also work great.
4. Wait for time to do the rest.
Two months is ideal; however, I made mine a week or so before Christmas last year which still works. The finished products will have a light amber color.
– Madagascar vanilla beans from Beanilla.com
– glass containers for Container Store
– online template for labels (I can't find the one I used last year, but this link is similar!)
– sticky paper for labels
Do you like making homemade Christmas gifts? If so, I would love to hear your comments, below! This year I'm considering homemade limoncello or an array of homemade spice mixes/ rubs. I would love to hear your ideas.