Shredded Beef Barbacoa is great on tacos, lettuce wraps, salads or rice bowls. It's versatile, full of flavor, gluten free, Paleo and Keto!
Whenever I have a big crowd to feed I turn to my slow cooker. You can make a ton of food that's all ready to go when your guests arrive and has it's own warmer so you don't have to worry about serving cold food.
Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Friendly
This Beef Barbacoa is one of my new favorites because of all of that party- day-ease and it's so so flavorful. Make sure you don't skip the guajillo peppers they add a wonderful richness that makes a big impact with flavor. Guajillos are dried chilis typically found near the canned chipotle chilis in your local grocery store.
Gluten-Free, Paleo & Keto Beef Barbacoa
You can serve this shredded barbacoa in lettuce wraps, tortillas, nachos or on a salad making it gluten free, paleo and even keto friendly. All your guests will enjoy this beautiful meal!
I like to garnish with radishes, cilantro and lime wedges but you can use any fixings you love! Avocado, tomatoes, peppers, it all works! Next time you have friends or family you've got the perfect meal!
Shredded Beef Barbacoa Lettuce Wraps
- 2.5-3 # beef chuck roast
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 dried guajillo peppers
- 3-4 chipotle chilis in adobo
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 4-5 limes
- 3 T apple cider vinegar
- 11/2 T ground cumin
- 1 T dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 head Bibb lettuce
- 4-6 radishes
- 2oz Queso fresco cheese
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Place dried guajillo peppers in a shallow bowl with hot water for 15 minutes to rehydrate them.
- Coat the inside of the slow cooker crock with oil.
- When peppers are hydrated, place them in a food processor or blender along with ½ cup of the soaking juices & seeds (optional: if you like milder flavors, remove the seeds.) Add chipotles + garlic + beef broth + 3T lime juice (~2 limes) +apple cider vinegar + cumin + oregano + ground cloves and blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the roast and turn to coat. Close the lid and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- When roast is fully cooked, shred with two forks and toss in the sauce.
- Serve as lettuce wraps or on corn tortillas. Garnish with sliced radish, queso fresco, cilantro, and lime wedges.
- Season 2.5-3# w/ S&P. Sear meat on all sides in instant pot on sear setting or on lg saute pan on stove top over med-high heat.
- Place seared meat into instant pot and pour sauce over top (see instructions for sauce above).
- Cook on high pressure for 60min with natural release for ~10mins.
- Shred roast once cooked.