This sweet potato pear soup recipe is the perfect mix of sweet and savory. It's freezer friendly too so make a double batch!
We have had such amazing feedback on the Sweet Potato & Pear Soup from our January Week 1 menu that we had to share it with you! The pear adds a nice sweetness to the soup when combined with the spice of the ginger and a hint of earthy veg from the onion and sweet potato. Healthy, nutritious & easy to make – add it to your grocery list for next week! Be sure to freeze leftovers or double the recipe for when you need a quick meal.
When I am feeling particularly hungry or want to serve this soup to guests, I like to pair it with Roasted Salt & Pepper Drumsticks (pictured above). These drumsticks are SO SUPER SIMPLE and always impress. Don't share that they are only 3 ingredients: salt, pepper and drumsticks! If you want to try at home, bake your seasoned drumsticks in a single layer on a baking sheet at 425 F for 35-40 mins or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. That's it – promise!
Sweet Potato and Pear Soup
- 2 pounds jewel or garnet sweet potatoes (~ 3 medium)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pear
- 2 " fresh ginger knob (optional)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth* (to make vegetarian, sub veggie broth)
- Peel and roughly chop ~3 sweet potatoes, 1 yellow onion, 1 clove garlic, 1 pear, ginger to yield ~2 tsp.
- In large soup pot, heat 1tsp olive oil & sauté yellow onion for 3-4 minutes or until a slight change in color.
- Add sweet potatoes, 1 clove garlic & 3c broth.
- Cover, turn heat to medium.
- Cook 30 minutes, set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes before pureeing.
- Place the following in a blender: cooked and cooled sweet potato, onion, and garlic (from above), 1 peeled/chopped pear, 2 tsp fresh ginger peeled and roughly chopped (optional), 1/4 tsp salt.
- Blend until smooth, adding water/ broth as needed for desired consistency. Do this in batches if needed.
- Season to taste as needed.
If you try this at home, please share your pictures with us on Instagram or Facebook and tag #prepdish or @prepdish!