My Gluten Free Gumbo is full of flavor, no need for the traditional flour-based roux. The best part? It takes just 1 hour to make!
It's almost Mardi Gras time and nothing is more iconic (short of catching beads and eating king cake) than diving into a big bowl of steamy gumbo. But for those of us who are gluten-free or Paleo the classic roux base makes it impossible for us to eat.
I am here to rescue your Mardi Gras celebration! My recipe combines all of your favorite flavors – Andouille sausage, shrimp, and okra – without the flour based roux. And I promise you won't miss it! Feel free to change up the meats (chicken works great with sausage) or go straight vegetarian. If you are Paleo, omit the rice.
Although making gumbo may sound complex, it will be ready in less than an hour. It's also perfect to make it ahead of time. I think the flavors really develop on Day 2 or even Day 3! Have left overs or want some extra for 911 meal? Gumbo freezes great; just leave the rice out if you do. Laissez le bon temp rouler!
Gluten Free Gumbo with Shrimp, Sausage, & Veggies
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 link (3 oz) raw andouille sausage
- 2 tsp Creole seasoning*
- 4 cups chicken broth*
- 12 oz shrimp
- 12-16 oz chopped okra
- Finely chop 2 garlic cloves, 1 red & 1 green bell pepper and ½ of a yellow onion.
- In a large stock pan over high heat, sauté sausage (removed from casing), for 2-3 minutes, breaking apart.
- Add chopped veggies + 2tsp Creole seasoning, sauté 7-8 minutes.
- Add 2c water + 4c broth, bring to boil & lower to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add chopped okra, shrimp and 1c uncooked brown rice. Increase heat to medium allowing to simmer. Cook another 20-30 min on low simmer, add more water/ broth if needed for desired consistency.
- Season to taste w/ additional Creole seasoning, S&P. Remove from heat and cool before storing.