We have a lot of requests for vegetarian alternatives on our weekly menus. This burger is the perfect fit! Some veggie burgers just don't make the mark but this one is thick, just like a beef burger and flavorful. The smoked paprika provides that yummy smoky flavor and if you use a little cayenne, it gives it a nice bit of heat.
The best part…they're a solid burger. You won't find a sad soggy middle. This one has a great texture all the way through, crispy on the outside and firm w/ the right amount of softness on the inside, giving you a nice alternative for your next burger night.
You can grill, bake or cook these burgers on the stove top and they don't fall apart as you cook them…always a bonus! Top these burgers w/ your favorite toppings…a great slice of cheese (I like provolone), avocado, tomato, bacon or lettuce. You can also whip up a batch of my Paleo friendly homemade ketchup.
I like to serve these burgers with sweet potato fries or my Smoky Paprika Cauliflower!
Black Bean & Quinoa Burgers
- 1/2 Cup Quinoa
- 1/4 Yellow onion
- 1/2 Red bell pepper
- 1/2 Jalapeno
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Chopped frozen spinach
- 15 oz Can black beans*
- 1 Egg Omega-3
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper Optional
- 1/2 Cup Gluten-free oat flour
- 1 Package parchment paper
- 2 Avocados
- 1 Head of lettuce (butter or romaine)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Add 1c water + ½c quinoa to small saucepan. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low. Cook 20-25 mins. Set aside to cool.
- Finely chop ¼ yellow onion + ½ red bell pepper + ½ jalapeno (seeds removed) + 3 cloves garlic for ~1T. Set all aside separately.
- Heat 1T oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped ¼ onion and cook for a few minutes, stirring often.
- Add remaining chopped veg (½ bell pepper, ½ jalapeño, and ~1T garlic); cook until the onion is translucent, ~2 minutes.
- Add 1c spinach, thawed and all liquid drained/removed, and mix together. Cool.
- In a large bowl, add 1 can rinsed and drained black beans. Mash with fork, leaving some texture.
- Add cooked quinoa + sautéed vegetables + 1 egg + spices (1tsp salt + 1tsp smoked paprika + ½ tsp cumin + ½ tsp pepper + 1/8 tsp cayenne, optional).
- Mix until combined, then add ½c oat flour. Stir.
- Form 4-6 patties depending on desired size.
- Place black bean quinoa burgers on parchment-lined baking sheet; bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip burgers, then bake for ~20 minutes more, or until browned and crispy.
- As burgers cook, slice 2 avocados.
- Serve burgers in lettuce wraps topped with avocado.