The key to making a salad you can't wait to eat all week long? Slow cooked, shredded pork roast! Having a topping that stands alone as something amazing to eat is always the best bet to build a perfect salad. Add cilantro, avocado and lime juice and you've created something pretty tasty you can enjoy for either lunch or dinner.
Lunch is one of those meals where there's very little time for cooking. Busy work schedules, kids or running around to meetings means you need something you can prep once and throw together with ease all week long. This is what Prep Dish is all about and what makes us excited to come to work every day! Food prep!
This salad is also pretty versatile. The pork can be cooked in an Instant Pot if you are short on time. You can add your favorite Mexican style toppings like corn, bell peppers, jalapenos, black beans or a little shredded cheese (a sprinkle of queso fresco would be amazing!). I also love this salad for an easy entertaining evening. Prep your pork ahead of time and set out greens and toppings in separate bowls so your guests can create this salad their way.
I love when one recipe can work for so many people. If you have no dietary restrictions this recipe works for you but it's also keto, gluten free and paleo friendly! Speaking of keto, this salad has 15 grams net carbs making it a perfect lunch or dinner option for those of you following the keto lifestyle!
Mexican Pork Salad
- 2 tbsp olive oil separated
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 1/2 cup chicken broth*
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 beefsteak tomato
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 10 oz romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 1 jar salsa*
- Heat 1T olive oil in a large pan over med-high.
- Season pork shoulder with S&P and brown on all sides.
- After searing pork, place in slow cooker w/ 1⁄2c chicken broth or water & cook ~5 hours on high or ~8 hours on low, until meat is tender.
- Cool, then using your fingers or two forks, shred the pork into bite-sized pieces.
- Finely chop: 1⁄2 onion, 1 tomato, 3-4 green onions and 3T cilantro
- Layer ingredients w/ 10oz chopped romaine.
- Slice 1 avocado.
- Top salad with avocado and pork. Drizzle with 1T olive oil, juice of 1 lime and salsa, if desired.
Instant Pot Instructions**
- Place trivet in bottom of instant pot.
- Lay seared, seasoned pork + 1c chicken broth or water in instant pot.
- Cook on high pressure for ~90mins.
- Once cook time is complete, allow pot to sit for 10mins. and then do a quick release.