I am a big fan of bowls…not necessarily dishware, but any meal that comes together in a bowl-like fashion. They are easy to prep, simple to pull together for dinner and always full of flavor.
Chorizo makes life even easier because you don't have to season your meat, just throw into a pan and cook it up! Chorizo sausage is already enhanced with garlic, herbs and smoked paprika creating pretty bold flavors. That means you don't need a huge ingredient list for this meal, the chorizo does all the work!
If chorizo is too spicy for you feel free to use a milder breakfast sausage!
While I kept this meal pretty simple w/ red pepper, tomatoes and avocado, you can set out all kinds of toppings and let your family pick their favorites. For this meal any veggies work, shredded cheese, sliced olives or green onions. Serving meals family style helps kids feel like they get to make some choices and often helps picky eaters to eat more…always a bonus!
Serve w/ rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa and enjoy this chorizo veggie burrito bowl over and over again!
Chorizo Veggie Bowl
- 1 cups rice or 1 bag cauliflower rice
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 # chorizo
- 2 avocados
- Add 1 cup rice + 2 cups water to med pot. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for ~20min or until water is absorbed. Set aside. (alternative: saute cauliflower rice w/ olive oil in saute pan over med heat until desired texture.
- Roughly chop 1 bunch cilantro. Finely chop 1 red bell pepper. Chop 2 tomatoes.
- Heat 1T olive oil over med-high heat. Add chorizo + chopped red bell pepper. Cook, breaking apart meat, until cooked through.
- Slice 2 avocados.
- Serve bowl w/ the following: rice (or cauliflower rice) + chopped tomatoes + chopped cilantro + sliced avocado