My Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Recipe comes together so quickly in the crock pot. It's great on rice bowls, cauli rice, or corn tortillas!
Carnitas is one of my favorite things to make. Even if you don't eat pork you can use the same recipe with chicken thighs…both make a beautiful dish.
This recipe comes together easily, which is always a win. Simply place seasoned pork in the slow cooker over a bed of onions and a bit of orange juice (or you can try peach nectar!). Cook all day until the meat falls off the bone. It's that simple! If you want those wonderful, toasty browned edges carnitas are known for, take the extra step in the instructions below and place your carnitas on a broiling pan and broil for a few minutes before serving! In my opinion…this step is worth the outcome!
I also love a meal where everyone at the table will be happy! You seriously can't go wrong. Just set out a variety of toppings (I gave you my standard toppings in the recipe below) and let everyone pick what they want. You can make this bowl with rice or change it up to cauliflower rice or quinoa. They all work!
One of my favorite time-saving strategies is to cook once, serve twice. I love to double up a recipe like this one and serve it two different ways because it saves me a ton of time while still keeping things interesting.
Try doubling this recipe and serving it one night as a bowl as written here and a second night as tacos, quesadillas, a hearty salad topper, or even on top of a baked potato or sweet potato!
Carnitas is a beautiful thing. Go get your ingredients this week and find out for yourself!
Slow Cooker Carnitas Bowl
- 1 red onion
- 1 naval orange
- .5 tsp salt
- .25 tsp pepper
- .5 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder*
- 1 tsp oregnano
- 2 lb pork shoulder
- 8 oz chicken broth* low sodium
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 tomato
- 1 cup rice uncooked
- 1 avocado
- Finely chop 1 red onion.
- Zest and juice one naval orange.
- In a small bowl mix together: 1/2tsp salt + 1/4tsp pepper + 1/2tsp garlic powder + 1tsp cumin + 1tsp chili powder + 1tsp oregano.
- Rub spice mix on all sides of pork shoulder.
- Place juice of one orange + 8oz chicken broth + chopped red onion in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add pork to slow cooker and sprinkle orange zest over the top.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours, turning once during cooking.
- Once cooked, shred meat and remove any bones.
- Rough chop ~1/4 bunch of cilantro and chop 1 tomato.
- Place 1c rice + 2c water in a medium pot, bring water to a boil, lower to medium and cook for 18 min.
- Option to place shredded pork on broiler pan and broil to make crispy.
- Top rice bowl w/ carnitas, chopped tomato, sliced avocado and cilantro.