These paleo mashed potatoes use cashews and chicken stock for plenty of flavor. You won't miss the milk and butter!
No one wants to miss out on mashed potatoes especially during Thanksgiving. It's a staple for the holiday meal and a comfort food everyone loves. What makes mashed potatoes so fluffy and good? The right kind of potatoes of course but also a good amount of butter and milk. Unfortunately, not everyone can tolerate milk because of food allergies or food intolerance. If you or a family member fall into this category then this recipe is for you!
The trick is to add fat in a new way…introducing cashew cream. I always use this cream in my Paleo lasagna and it works equally as well in mashed potatoes! The cashew cream replaces the fat and the broth replaces the liquid from the milk plus adds flavor!
I personally always use Yukon gold potatoes but you can also use Russet. Avoid “over” mashing your potatoes and don't use a hand mixer or blender (I know it can be tempting)…this can turn that fluffy texture into glue quickly. The easiest mashed potato tool of all time is the potato ricer. It mashes the potatoes for you and removes the skin in minutes.
For Thanksgiving or parties I like to mash my potatoes right into a warm slow cooker. This makes a great serving container to keep your potatoes warm. Don't hold in there more than 2 hours as the edges will start to burn. You may need to add a little more broth periodically if it gets too thick.
You certainly don't need to add the shallots in this recipe but I love the extra flavor they provide. Sauteed garlic will give you a similar boost in flavor as well!
Enjoy and happy holiday!
Dairy Free, Paleo Friendly Mashed Potatoes
- 2 # Yukon gold potatoes
- 3 shallots
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup chicken stock*
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot boil 2# yukon gold potatoes with skin on until fork tender ~25mins. Allow to slightly cool.
- Soak 1c cashews in 1c hot water for ~20mins. Blend cashews in blender with water until smooth. Set aside.
- Finely chop 3 shallots. In a small saute pan heat 1tsp olive oil over med heat. Saute chopped shallots until softened. Set aside.
- Heat crockpot on warm. Remove skin from potatoes (easiest using a potato ricer).
- In warm crockpot, mash together warm potatoes + ~3/4c cashew cream + 1/2c chicken broth (1/4c increments at a time) + sauteed shallots and S&P to taste. Add more cream and broth as needed. Keep in warm crockpot for service.