My Green Shakshuka Recipe is such a fun play on the popular brunch dish. It's full of bright flavor, and a super healthy breakfast pick!
To know me is to know my love affair with shakshuka! Shakshuka is a Middle Eastern dish of eggs poached in a rich, herbed tomato sauce, chili peppers and spices. We've used this traditional style on our Prep Dish menus in the past with rave reviews.
I love this dish so much I started to explore other flavors and fell in love all over again with this green shakshuka. In this version the eggs are cooked on a bed of spinach with fresh herbs, garlic and a sprinkle of feta cheese. It's so so good and provides a completely different flavor profile of this simple dish. Bonus…you get your greens in for the day!
With any style of shakshuka, you can cook the eggs to your preference. If you're not a fan of runny or soft eggs, feel free to flip them after they've set to make them over medium. You might disrupt your pretty nests but it will all taste the same in the end!
You can keep this meal as a breakfast option or serve it with roasted potatoes and turn it into dinner. It makes a great meal for Meatless Mondays or for whenever you're wanting a vegetarian option.
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 T Olive oil
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 6 eggs large
- 4 oz feta crumbled
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch basil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Chop 1 onion and 3 garlic cloves.
- Dice 1 jalapeno and remove seeds.
- Heat 1T olive oil in a large saute pan over med heat. Add onion + garlic + jalapeno and saute for ~7 minutes.
- Chop ~1/4 cup cilantro and 1/4 cup basil. Set aside.
- Add 1 bag of spinach, cover and cook for 2-3 mins or until spinach wilts.
- Stir and season w/ salt and pepper to taste.
- Make 6 "nests" in the spinach about 1-2 inches away from each other. Crack 6 eggs into the spots, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until eggs are set and cooked to desired level.
- Top each egg w/ crumbled feta + chopped cilantro + chopped basil. Season w/ salt and pepper to taste.