My Basil Walnut Pesto Recipe is excellent on these eggplant tomato stacks…and on pretty much everything else!
These eggplant and tomato stacks present beautifully and taste amazing and fresh but the best part is how simple they are to make. In just a few minutes you can have an elegant side dish that is both delicious and healthy.
I've also made mini stacks using baby or Japanese eggplants for appetizers on toothpicks. The basil walnut pesto recipe can be made in advance. I recommend making a double batch and freezing half! It's also delicious on chicken, gluten free pasta, or salmon.
The grill gives the eggplant a great flavor but you could bake or broil the eggplant if you don't have a grill available.
Grilled Eggplant, Mozzarella, and Tomato Stacks with Pesto
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 large eggplant
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella ball
For the Pesto:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 oz parmesan cheese (the size of a domino)
- 1-2 large cloves of garlic
- 1-2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 lemons (1/2 lemon zested and the juice of both)
- 1/4 cup water or veggie stock
- Pesto: Place the walnuts, parmesan, garlic, basil, lemon zest and juice of 1 lemon in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add remaining lemon juice and water only if needed for taste/ consistency.
- Thinly slice the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch rounds. Brush or spray eggplant w/ olive oil, S&P. Grill eggplant ~5min/ side.
- Layer eggplant, mozzarella, tomato & pesto.