Want to learn how to make kale salad? This massaged kale salad is totally delicious with lemon, a touch of honey, almonds and oranges.
We all know that kale is a nutrition powerhouse, but let's be honest, it can be a bit fibrous and tough to eat raw. The secret is to give it a good massage to help it relax! Rubbing the leaves with a bit of oil helps to break down some of the fibers and make the leaves tender and easier to chew.
The best part of this prep-ahead salad? It gets better with time!
Instead of oranges & almonds try any of the following:
- Cubed mango & pumpkin seeds
- Sliced strawberries & pecans
- Blueberries & pistachios
How to Make Kale Salad:
Massaged Kale Salad
- 1 bunch kale
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 lemon, juiced (zest optional)
- 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 1 orange, segmented (zest optional)
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- Remove kale leaves from the stem and chop into bite-sized pieces (or tear using hands).
- Place kale in a large bowl and drizzle w/ 1-2T olive oil and salt into leaves, massaging with hands. Do this for a few minutes, really massaging oil into leaves. Set aside. (leaves should begin to wilt)
- Whisk together lemon juice, zest (if using), 1T olive oil, honey. Toss dressing with cubed avocado (this prevents from browning), then toss with the massaged kale leaves.
- Add the fruit and nuts and toss all together.
- Serve and enjoy!