Have you tried eggs and polenta together? It's the perfect combo and our sweet and spicy chili sauce takes it over the edge!
The star of this recipe (other than the poached egg of course!) is this amazing Gluten Free Chili Sauce. I've always loved the kick of chili sauce on scrambled eggs but now I'm loving it on all eggs…poached, fried, scrambled, omelets!
The chili sauce is a nice combination of sweet and spicy that you can adapt as you like. For spicier, add more chili seeds, and for less spicy add less peppers/seeds. The same goes for sweetness. You can adjust the honey as you'd like!
Another benefit of this sauce is you'll have leftovers, which pair really well with grilled chicken, shrimp or salmon. I like to spoon the sauce over grilled chicken and use as a marinade with shrimp. For salmon you can brush on before cooking.
This chili sauce is also freezer friendly so no worries if you don't think you can finish it in a week. I use ice cube trays to freeze sauces so I can take out a few at a time vs thawing half of a jar.The polenta is optional but it does add a bit of sweetness w/ that wonderful corn flavor that works so so well with the chili sauce.
If you need more breakfast menus, we have a NEW Breakfast Bundle that has Prep Dish style recipes for brunch, on-the-go, and freezer friendly breakfast ideas. Take a look here!
Poached Eggs w/ Polenta & Spicy Chili Sauce
- 1 long chili pepper or sub w/ Dried Chili Pepper
- 11/2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp tarmari low sodium
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 T white vinegar
- 4 eggs
- If using dry red chili pepper rehydrate by pouring boiling water over it in a shallow bowl.
- Cut 1 chili peppers in half and remove seeds to desired heat (1⁄4 of seeds is plenty).
- Rough chop 1 chili and 1 1⁄2 garlic cloves.
- To a food processor or blender add the following: 1 chopped chili pepper +1 1⁄2 chopped garlic cloves + 1⁄4tsp ginger + 1⁄4tsp salt +1⁄4c water
- Blend on high until mostly smooth. Transfer mixture to a small pot and add 1⁄4c rice vinegar + 1⁄4c honey + 1tsp tamari.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce reduces, ~15-20 mins. Take off heat, allow to cool and store in mason jar in refrigerator.
- Bring 4c water to a boil. Whisking constantly add 1c cornmeal + 1⁄2tsp salt, reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 30-35mins.
- Whisk occasionally, making sure to scrape edges/bottom of pan to avoid sticking. Once thick, take off heat and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water + 1T white vinegar to just boiling, lower heat and add eggs.
- Cook for ~5min or desired doneness.
- Serve Poached Eggs over Polenta w/ ~1-3T Sweet & Spicy Chili Sauce over top.