Just like that summer is coming to a close and it's back to school time! I know finding healthy snacks for school (and for running around to sports and events after school) can be challenging. It's far too easy to depend on packaged, processed bars and chips. That's why our Prep Dish team loves this very simple, healthy back to school snack your kids will love…Almond Butter Protein Energy Bites.
These bites have a lot of good things going for them…they're portable, sweet enough without loads of added sugars and offer a good source of protein to help your kids feel satisfied.
We've added chocolate chips to this recipe but you can omit or add cranberries or raisins. Heck…cranberries + chocolate chips would be a winner!
If packing in lunch for school make sure you have an ice pack for your kids lunch bags so it doesn't lose it's firmness.
Check out the notes below to make these paleo and keto friendly! You can store these in the freezer so feel free to double up the recipe to have some on hand for the upcoming weeks!
Back to School Almond Butter Protein Bites
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oats or sub almond flour
- 2 T melted coconut oil
- 2 T almond butter or sub peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 T dark chocolate chips or discs or sub cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- Blend 1 1/2c oats in food processor or blender until it reaches a flour-like consistency. Remove & set aside.
- Add 2T melted coconut oil + 2T almond butter + 1/4c maple syrup + 1/2tsp vanilla. Mix until smooth
- In a large bowl, mix 1/2c almond flour + 1/4tsp salt + 2T chocolate chips + blended oats + almond butter/maple syrup mixture.
- Mix together to cookie dough consistency. Roll dough into quarter-size balls and freeze on parchment paper.
- Once frozen, store in container in the freezer.