Have you ever noticed that nearly every no-bake bite or bar recipe out there has nuts or nut butters? Our nut sensitive Prep Dish subscribers have brought this to my attention! Nut allergies make it difficult especially when you want a homemade bite or granola bar. Everyone likes that perfect on-the-go snack or to use them for a quick breakfast. So I introduce… Sunbutter Bites. While this recipe does have seeds it is void of any tree nuts so hopefully this will help you with all your snacking needs!
Sunbutter is made from sunflower seeds and provides the creaminess like nut butters and just as flavorful. It is high in fat, but not quite as much protein as nut butters. I combined the sunbutter with hemp seeds, which will increase the protein content a bit. These bites will definitely keep you feeling satisfied as a snack should!
Did I mention these bites are no-bake? They come together in the food processor in 5 minutes and another 5 minutes to assemble. I bet it will take you longer to find your ingredients in the pantry than it does to make these. If you have kids with nut allergies this is the perfect after school, in the car, at the park snack!
As always you can make this recipe your own. If you can't find hemp seeds, don't give up! You can replace with ground flax seeds or chia seeds. You also get full control over what toppings you want to fold in. Cacao nibs, chocolate chips and cranberries are tested and approved but I've been wanting to try chopped dried pineapple as I always love the combination of pineapple and coconut. Give them a try!
Sunbutter Paleo Energy Balls
- 1 cup medjool dates
- 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seed butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup min dark chocolate chips optional
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries optional
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs optional
- In a food processor combine the following until smooth: 1c dates + 1c shredded coconut + 1/2c hemp seeds + 1c sunflower seed butter + 1tsp cinnamon.
- Option to fold in any combination of 3/4c chocolate chips, 1/2c cacao nibs or 1/2c dried cranberries.
- Drop by 1T onto parchment lined baking sheet and freeze in a single layer.
- Once frozen, you can store in a container or baggy (these also work at room temp/ refrigerated, but my preference is frozen!).