Wondering how to cook with turmeric? It's one of the healthiest spices out there and, fortunately, easy to use! Get my best turmeric recipes and tips below.
Looking to add healthy flavor to meals? Spices are the perfect solution! In addition to increasing flavor without increasing calories, spices bring with them their own health benefits. Just as each spice brings its own special flavor, it also brings along its own health benefits. (Check out this post on cinnamon as well!)
I love using all sorts of spices, but especially turmeric. It's one of the healthiest spices out there!
Originally from South Asia, turmeric may be used fresh but is most commonly found dried and turned into a powder and available in your local spice aisle. It’s found in many curries and South Asian dishes. It’s also frequently used to give mustards their bright yellow color (seriously, just read the ingredients label of your fave mustard!).
Turmeric has long been touted for it's medicinal properties in Asia. Now, researchers are exploring a particular component of turmeric, curcumin, and finding it may be a potent health booster. Research has focused on curcumin's ability to aid in weight loss, cancer prevention & heart health. While more research is needed, one thing is clear, turmeric is an obvious choice for adding flavor to your favorite spice rubs, recipes & more!
If you're not familiar with the spice though, you're not likely to use it. Here are my best tips and recipes for how to cook with turmeric. Definitely try out the beef kebabs below – they're delicious and a great way to start!
How to Cook with Turmeric
Wondering how to cook with turmeric? These simple ideas are a great place to start!
Using turmeric is actually quite simple. However, while the flavor is relatively mild, it can be overpowering if you use too much. I find it's always best to start with a recipe if you're using a new-to-you spice. You may even want to use a bit less than the recipe specifies to help you get used to the taste.
One other tip before we get to the recipes- turmeric stains big time! Don't wear white when using it and make sure to wash your hands and cutting board right away.
Here are some of my favorite recipes with turmeric:
- Popcorn Seasoning: This is so simple, but so good! Popcorn is already a healthy snack and turmeric takes it to the next level.
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken: This recipe was one of my son's favorites when he was a baby so, I promise, it's totally approachable.
- Mediterranean Lamb Burgers: Turmeric and other spices make this a unique twist on a classic burger.
- Beef and Butternut Squash Tagine: Don't worry, you don't have to have a special tagine pot to make this recipe. A normal oven-save pan, or even the slow cooker, works quite well!
- Slow Cooker Turmeric Pork: This is a different take on pulled pork but, I promise, it's delicious!
- Moroccan Spice Blend & Breakfast Hash: This one always brings back happy memories of my honeymoon to Morocco 🙂
- Grilled Meats: And of course, turmeric is great on grilled meats! It's part of the simple spice blend in my beef kebab recipe below.
Grass-fed Beef, Tomato & Zucchini Kebabs
- 1/4 cup cumin powder
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 lb grass-fed beef sirloin, cut into ~1" cubes
- 1 tub cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 zucchini (or summer squash), cut into ~1" cubes
- metal skewers (If using wooden skewers, soak in water prior to use)
- Whisk together all spices.
- Whisk together olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Marinate spice-rubbed beef in olive oil and vinegar for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill.
- Skewer beef, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes, alternating between the three.
- Grill kebabs for 10-12 min or until beef is just cooked through/ desired doneness, flipping halfway through cooking.