This healthy baked apples recipe is perfect for anyone following an autoimmune protocol (AIP) or avoiding added sugars. Dairy & nut free!
Fall is apple season across the US. I just love strolling the produce section and looking at all of the available varieties and vibrant colors that are so abundant this time of year. I also love that I can indulge in one of my favorites: baked apples! Today I am sharing my AIP baked apples recipe that appears on my new AIP (auto immune protocol) meal plans.
Traditionally, baked apples are made with a dried fruit, nut and honey combination. This healthy baked apples recipe eliminates the nuts and honey (which are not AIP compliant), and sticks to an all-fruit based filling. I tested the recipe out on my husband Brook and he couldn't tell the difference!
Quick tip: try playing with different dried fruits. For example, dried cranberries or cherries would be a great sub for the raisins. Just make sure to keep the dates…they act as the glue for the filling.
AIP Friendly Baked Apples with Dried Fruit
- 4 granny smith apples (you may sub apple of choice)
- 1/2 c coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c medjool dates (approximately 5 large)
- 1/2 c dried figs
- 1/2 c golden raisins
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cut 4 apples in half and scoop out core.
- Place cored apples in baking pan flesh side up. Set aside.
- In a blender of food processor, blend the following until roughly chopped: 1/2 c coconut oil + 1 tsp vanilla + 1/2 c dates (pitted) + 1/4 c dried figs (stems removed) + 1/4 c golden raisins + 1 tsp cinnamon
- Place 1T (heaping) of filling in each apple half.
- Sprinkle apples with additional 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Cover apples with foil and bake for 20-25 mins.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 5-10 minutes.
Want more AIP resources?
I know that following an autoimmune protocol can be overwhelming. That's probably why my AIP Meal Plan video is one of my most-watched videos! Check it out for tips on how to plan AIP meals and simple recipe ideas.
If you are interested in more AIP recipes, check out my AIP meal plans. You get 4 weeks of delicious AIP meal plans (in Prep Dish style), 5 breakfast recipes and 20 snack ideas!
What are some more fruit-based desserts?
I love fruit-based desserts! They are naturally sweet and so much healthier than treats filled with processed sugar. Below are a few of my favorite recipes but also check out my podcast episodes on Summer Fruit Based Desserts and Winter Fruit Based Desserts!